Top 3 Headlines on WHSV.com August 1

These are the most viewed headlines on WHSV.com for August 1st. Stories with available video will have a link in the headline.

Harrisonburg Man Charged with Sexual Assault

HARRISONBURG, Va. -- A man is in jail, charged in connection with the sexual assault of a person under the age of 18.

Wilson Jacobo Ecarnacion, 23, faces two counts of rape and two counts of forcible sodomy.

Harrisonburg Police say they believe the incident is isolated. They say Ecarnacion and the alleged victim knew each other.

Ecarnacion is being held at the Rockingham Regional Jail.

 

Valley Couples Challenge State's Ban on Gay Marriage

HARRISONBURG, Va. (AP/WHSV) -- Two valley couples are challenging Virginia's same-sex marriage ban in court. One of couples is from Winchester, the other from and Staunton.

Joanne Harris and Jessica Duff of Staunton and Christy Berghoff and Victoria Kidd of Winchester are the plaintiffs in the case, filed in United District Court For The Western Virginia District in Harrisonburg.

The ACLU of Virginia and Lambda Legal say they'll discuss the complaint after filing it Thursday.

The ACLU first announced plans to sue last month.

Virginia voters in 2006 approved a constitutional amendment prohibiting gay marriage and denying recognition of such marriages sanctioned by other states.

Earlier this summer, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a provision of the federal Defense of Marriage Act that denied federal benefits to married gay couples. The justices also left intact a lower court ruling overturning California's gay marriage ban. That decision was based on a legal technicality and did not address the law's constitutionality.

A Norfolk couple already is challenging Virginia's gay marriage ban in another federal lawsuit.

 

James Madison University Alumna is New Face of Hawaiian Tropic

HARRISONBURG, Va. -- We've learned that a recent James Madison University graduate has won a national contest.

Danielle Erb, who played volleyball at James Madison University, is the new face of Hawaiian Tropic.

Erb will be in a national print ad that will be released in 2014 and she also gets a trip for two to Hawaii. Erb will be the new spokesperson for an undetermined amount of time.

Erb received more than 5,000 votes from people around the country on the Hawaiian Tropic Facebook page. She competed against four other finalists, who all recorded promotional videos, in New York City.

As a Florida native, she's used Hawaiian Tropic since she was a kid. Erb said protecting her skin has always been important.

She has plans to work in public relations. Erb credits James Madison University for their help with votes, particularly JMU sports, which she worked with in college. Here's what Erb said when we spoke to her as a finalist.

"Who knows what this could turn into but I'm very excited this has been a great adventure. We both share the same passion, I love the beach they love the beach we both love the beach," said Erb.

Twitter, Erb is thanking everyone for their love and support. According to the JMU Athletic Department's website, which helped her pull in votes, judges decided that they liked Erb's personal character.

Voting was 30% of the contest, while judges decided the other 70 percent.

Read More Blogs
WHSV.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WHSV-TV3
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax

WSVF Public Inspection File

Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability