March 10, 2014
Swings are coming back to Cabell County school playgrounds.
Cabell removed swing sets from 17 elementary schools nearly ten months ago after determining many of them were unsafe.
The Herald-Dispatch reports that a Hamlin company started replacing swings in March. So far, just four schools have complete sets because wet weather has hampered the $260,000 project.
Buildings and grounds director James Colegrove says the rainy spring has the project way behind schedule. The work was supposed to be done by the end of June. Now Colegrove says the work should be finished before school starts in August.
Last September, school officials announced a plan to remove swings because of lawsuits and cost concerns over maintaining protective barriers around them. The plan was dropped because it went against state policy.
©2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.