Chimney Safety

By: James Jackson
By: James Jackson

Saturday night, a fire destroyed a home in Fulks Run. Official reports say it started in a first-floor chimney and spread to bedrooms on the second floor.

The house is a complete loss, though there were no injuries reported from the fire. This is the second time in a week that a house fire has been attributed to a chimney.

Thus, it is important to make sure you keep your chimney clean, especially during the winter months.

Blue Ridge Chimney Solutions offers some advice on how to do just that, as well as a reason for why it's something you should do fairly often.

"Well the most important thing is having your chimney inspected annually by a certified chimney sweep to make sure there's no blockage, no access build up in the flue system itself and that will go along way to preventing any type of chimney fire," says certified chimney sweep Dustin Howdyshell.


WHSV.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WHSV-TV3
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax

WSVF Public Inspection File

Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 12946677 - whsv.com/a?a=12946677
Gray Television, Inc.