Requirement for CO Detectors

The Senate unanimously passed a bill Wednesday allowing localities to require carbon monoxide detectors in some buildings.

The bill was inspired by two incidents in which hundreds were sickened by carbon monoxide leaks.

In 2006, a 91-year-old man died and more than 100 people attending a Lutheran Church conference at Roanoke College were taken to the hospital due to a carbon monoxide leak in a dormitory. In August, more than 20 people were sickened, two of them critically, by a carbon monoxide leak at an apartment near Virginia Tech's campus.

Senator John Edwards' bill allows localities to require carbon monoxide detectors in buildings that contain a fuel-fired appliance or are attached to a garage or carport.


WHSV.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WHSV-TV3
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax

WSVF Public Inspection File

Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 15374541 - whsv.com/a?a=15374541