TIMBERVILLE, Va -- You wouldn't know by looking at Boone Puckett that he was involved in an accident back in June.
“Boone had an accident...Boone hates fire. Boone don't like fire,” said Boone.
Boone was playing with his John Deere Power Wheels Tractor, when he got a hold of some gasoline. When some of that gasoline made contact with the battery for his toy tractor, it exploded, burning 40-percent of Boone's skin.
“For the first two weeks he was basically in a coma. Like a medically induced coma to try to give his body the time to get through the shock, try to start to heal,” said Shaundra Fulk, Boone's mother.
Boone's body did heal with the help of skin grafts and Boone is now doing fine despite being a little itchy every so often. That does not stop his mother from worrying.
“I worry about his future. I worry how people are going to react when he gets his garments off. Obviously he's going to look different. He's not going to look like everybody else.”
Boone's mother had to explain to her 3-year-old child that he is going to need skin grafts until he is fully grown.
“What I've told him is we're going to have good days. We're going to have bad days. I've explained to him that we have to do all this skin can get the best that it can get. And he understands that.”
It will be a long road to a full recovery, but even at 3-years-old, Boone remained optimistic.
“My bump is getting better,” said Boone.
Boone's injuries require him to continuously make the journey to an Ohio hospital to receive the grafts as he grows up.
Family and friends have organized a fundraising benefit tomorrow at the Rockingham County Fairgrounds. The event starts at 12 p.m. and there will be food, bands and an auction at 5 p.m. To make a donation, you can call 540-476-5679