MT. SOLON, Va. -- An electrical fire started at a home at about 9 a.m. Wednesday off of Emmanuel Church Road. Augusta County firefighters said this fire was caused by a malfunction in a generator that sent a power surge to the house.
Fire crews said it caused about $100,000 in damage.
The fire burnt a room in the basement and damaged furniture. Neighbors said the electric current went out on the road shortly before the fire. That's when the owner started the generator.
Fire crews said they had the fire controlled in 30 minutes.
No one was inside the home at the time, except for a cat, which died.
Follow Amelia Nahmias on Facebook.
© Copyright 2013 WHSV / Gray Television Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.