Family Displaced After Fire in Lyndhurst

By: Carly Stephenson Email
By: Carly Stephenson Email

AUGUSTA Co., Va. (WHSV) -- A family is without their home after a fire in Lyndhurst Saturday. Wilson Volunteer Fire Company crews say a wood fire stove started the fire. The family of three was using the wood stove to stay warm.

Parts of Augusta county have been without power for most of Saturday. Fire crews think the wood stove is to blame for the fire.

Fire fighters with the Wilson Volunteer Fire Company checked for hotspots hours later. The inside of the Almarode's home is devastated.

"I was worried that maybe they didn't all get out of the house," said Nancy McKemy, the daughter of the homeowners.

When crews rushed to the basement, the first floor caved in right in front of them.

"He had really stoked his fire up to keep the house warm because it was so cold because I think that may have been the main trouble maker right there, that he overloaded it and got it too hot," said Fire Chief Bobby Mays, with the Wilson Volunteer Fire Company.

It's an issue crews say could have been prevented.

"If you're going to use any kind of heaters make sure you have them away, you know in a nice open area," said Timmy Mawyer.

Fighting the blaze took hours. Fire crews say the Almarode family tried to take care of the flames themselves before calling 911.

"Please don't ever do that, no one. Immediately get out of the structure.... Every minute counts, every minute just counts, and when we're behind thirty to forty minutes, you can't make it up," said Chief Mays.

Just hours after it happened, the community is reaching out. Until they get settled, Carl Almarode and his family will stay with relatives.

"The church groups were bringing in clothes and necessities for them to live day to day, It's still too soon. Probably by tomorrow everything will be more settled down and be able to deal with it better," said McKemy.

Fire crews also went to a home in dooms, after they say a heater caught siding on fire. The Almarode family does have insurance and plans to rebuild the house.

They are accepting help through Sherando United Methodist Church. is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax

WSVF Public Inspection File

Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 238746751 -
Gray Television, Inc.