ROCKINGHAM COUNTY, Va. (WHSV)-- Members of the Clover Hill Volunteer Fire company say the man.. whose name they would not release.. had to be flown to u-v-a..
The man, who lives on Rebel Lane near Bridgewater, is missing two fingers and just had surgery on his thumb. His roommate is upset, and neighbors say fireworks are something that should be left up to professionals.
"That's sad because this is something that is gonna last long after this fourth of July," said neighbor Audrey Kirk.
Kirk throws a ball with her two-year-old niece near Rebel Lane. She says fireworks can be dangerous.
"Think fireworks is best left to the professionals, especially if you're drinking," said Kirk.
Volunteer crews and the fire marshal came to this house on the 8000 block of Rebel Lane, a little after midnight on July 5. A road, Audrey Kirk says, is well traveled.
"It's lots of traffic all the time, and I do hear noise from the neighbors, that's pretty much all the time," said Kirk.
They airlifted a man in his mid-20s to UVA. His roommate, who didn't want to show his face, said the firework fuse was wet and his friend tried to light it another way. Everyone was standing on the porch while the victim was shooting fireworks off in the yard.
"Do feel sorry for the young gentleman, it's very sad, but these things are gonna happen when you're messing with things [and] you don't know what you're doing," said Kirk.
A fire prevention specialist, who taught kids how to be safe for July Fourth, said all incidents are upsetting.
"I could cry when you say that. Because when we go out, and we teach people how to be safe, and a child gets hurt, I feel like I'm a failure. You know, I feel like I need to get out there to talk and teach and preach, anything i can," said Wanda Willis, a fire prevention specialist.
Neighbors say, being careful could have stopped the accident.
Friends plan to visit the victim at UVA Medical Center on July 6.
© Copyright 2014 WHSV / Gray Television Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.