A mother and her four kids are without a home Sunday after a fire in Rockingham County. The mother Tiffany Ritchie has been transferred to UVA Medical Center after getting burned.
Ritchie has burns on her arms and lips. Assistant Fire Marshal Pat Trimble said she has minor to moderate burns.
The family managed to get out safely after one of the kids tipped their mom off to the fire.
There isn't much left at the home on Harold's Lane.
Paul Binion,Tiffany's father, said she lost everything.
"She's got no clothes, she had a towel wrapped around her cause she was in the shower," said Binion.
One of the kids saw the fire start and got her mom out of the shower.
Another kid called 911, and fire crews say that quick thinking was essential.
"This is actually what we teach the children and this is just an example of one time, that it worked," said Lt. Karen Will, Public Education Officer with Rockingham County.
"Once they realized there was a problem, they exited very quickly and it saved lives," said Lt. Wills.
What used to be the inside of a home is barely recognizable.
Fire investigators say the fire started in the bedroom area of the home, possibly with a candle and that side of the home is completely destroyed.
"She says she might have lit a candle in the bedroom, she's not real sure if she did or not," said Binion.
The kids will be staying with their grandfather.
"The last couple months have been really rough on her, so we'll get her through it, we'll make it. As long as she's all right, we'll be all right....Get her out of the hospital, get her better right now," said Binion.
© Copyright 2013 WHSV / Gray Television Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.