- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 oz roasted chicken breast, cut into ¼” thick strips
- ½ pound button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 red Bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 ¼ cups homemade or store-bought reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¾ tsp dried ground sage
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups fresh spinach, washed and stems removed
- 1 large onion – about 12 ounces, roasted, peeled and diced
- 8 oz whole-wheat linguine pasta
- Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, warm olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add button mushrooms and carrots to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes. Add Bell pepper and roasted onion and cook an additional 3 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, salt, sage and pepper.
- Bring mushroom sauce to a boil. Add fresh spinach, reserved pasta and the chicken. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until spinach has wilted and pasta is warmed through, about 3 – 4 minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl.
NOTE: To roast the onion – wrap the entire onion in foil and bake in a 350º oven until soft and caramelized juices run from the foil wrap.
Makes 4 servings
Calories per serving: 365
Fat per serving 9 (21%)
Prepared by Michael Noble, September 22, 2004