- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup firm cold butter, cut into eights
- 1/4 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Dash ground red pepper
- In a small saucepan, beat together egg yolks, water, and lemon juice.
- Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until yolk mixture bubbles at edges.
- Stir in butter, 1 piece at a time, until melted and sauce is thickened.
- Stir in seasonings.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and chill if not using immediately.