- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 packages (5 ounces) plain Melba toast, pulsed to sand-and-pebble texture
- 8 drumsticks and 8 thighs, skins removed
- Spray bottle filled with vegetable oil or vegetable cooking spray
1: Adjust oven rack to upper middle position and heat oven to 400º. Mix eggs, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
2: Put Melba toast crumbs in a shallow dish. Set a large wire rack over an 18 x 12” foil-lined jellyroll pan.
3: Using one hand for the dry ingredients and the other for wet, lay chicken pieces, 4 at a time in egg mixture; rotate to coat. Then working one piece at a time, lay chicken in Melba crumbs. Press a mix of sand-and-pebble crumbs onto top of chicken. Turn piece over; repeat, pressing crumbs into chicken on remaining side. Gently shake off excess.
4: Set chicken on rack. Using a spray bottle filled with oil (or vegetable cooking spray), coat chicken pieces evenly with oil. Bake until chicken is nutty-brown and juices run clear, 30 minutes for drumsticks and 35 minutes for thighs.