- 1 lb. mild ground sausage
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk or non-fat half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatos with green chilies, drained well
- About 7 oz. bite-size white corn chips
- 1 (8 oz.) bag 4-cheese shredded Mexican blend
- 1-cup salsa con queso, salsa, or picante sauce
- Optional Garnish: Sour cream, jalapenos
1: Preheat oven to 400°.
2: On medium high heat, brown sausage in a skillet. Drain well.
3: In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, garlic salt, pepper and cilantro. Mix well.
4: Add egg mixture to drained, cooked sausage and stir until eggs are cooked.
5: Add diced tomatoes and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
6: In a 2-quart greased, baking dish, layer ½ chips, ½ sausage mixture and ½ shredded cheese.
7: Top with another layer of chips, then the rest of sausage mixture.
8: Top with 1-cup salsa (or picante sauce) and spread evenly.
9: Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
10:Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese has melted. Cut calories and fat by using:
Ground turkey sausage (remove from casings before cooking)
Fat free half and half or skim milk
Reduced fat corn chips, slightly broken
Reduced fat cheese
Fat free sour cream for garnish
Virginia Egg Council
3401 West Ridge Rd
Roanoke, VA 24014