- 1 cup vegetable oil (canola, etc.)
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons flavoring
(your choice – vanilla and your favorite extract or liqueur)
- ½ cup chopped citron, dried fruit, or orange rind, finely chopped
- 5+ cups sifted flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup liquid – lemon, orange juice or water or a combination
- Food coloring and Colored sprinkles, if desired
- Thoroughly beat the oil, sugar, eggs and your choice of flavorings in a large mixer bowl.
- Add the chopped, dried fruit or rind.
- Sift together 5 cups of flour, the baking powder and salt.
- Blend this in, a portion at a time.
- Add just enough more flour so you can handle the dough – it will be somewhat sticky, however.
- Scoop by heaping tablespoonfuls and with flour covered hands, roll into balls, placing each on ‘sprayed’ or parchment-lined cookie sheets – about 24 per cookie sheet. Bake in a 375º oven for 12 minutes.
- Biscuits will be firm and just barely golden. Let cool. Meanwhile make this icing:
- Combine the sugar and liquid.
- Mix until smooth. It should be stiff enough to spread.
- Tint with food coloring, if desired.
- Frost each egg biscuit with icing.
- Sprinkle with colored sprinkles or drizzle another color of icing onto a frosted egg biscuit, if desired.
- Store tightly in tins or wrap well and freeze.
Makes about 48 small biscuits