1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (10 oz.) purchased Angel Food Cake
Custard (see recipe below)
1 (16 oz.) pkg. frozen whole strawberries, thawed and drained
1. Melt chocolate chips on defrost cycle in microwave-30 second intervals, stirring in between each. While holding stand of truffle bowl, drizzle chocolate around the sides inside the bowl, squiggling as you go. Let harden. Cut or tear cake into bite-sized pieces.
2. Layer cake, strawberries and custard in bowl, ending with custard. Garnish with whipped cream and mint springs. Chill until you serve.
3. Custard: Combine 2 cups milk, 1/3 cup sugar, pinch of kosher salt in top of a double boiler. Heat over low heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Whisk 4 egg yolks until blended, slowly stir in 1/2 cup hot milk, then add this to the remaining milk mixture.
4. Heat 1inch water in bottom of double boiler to simmer.
5. Set double boiler top on and cook, stirring constantly about 10-15 minutes., until custard coats back of metal spoon.
6. Stir in 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. Chill. Fold in 1 cup whipping cream, whipped.