Chocolate Sponge Cake with Creme Anglaise
Decadent, but diet-wise, Chocolate desserts
7 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sifted cake flour
3 tablespoons, butter, melted and cooled to lukewarm
1 1/2 oz. semisweet chocolate
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy.
2. Beat in sugar 1T. at a time, until a stiff, but not dry meringue forms. In another large bowl, stir together the egg yolks and vanilla.
3. Fold in one-third of the meringue. Fold in remaining meringue until no streak of white remains. Sprinkle the cake flour over the top of the mixture and fold in. Very gently fold in the melted butter-do not over-fold. Spoon batter into a 10" tube pan, spreading evenly.
4. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Invert cake onto a large funnel or bottle. Let cake hang until it is completely cooled, at least 1 1/2 hrs. run a knife around the inner and outer edges, turn onto a rack, and cool completely with crusty portion up.
4. Melt chocolate and vegetable shortening on defrost cycle of microwave, for 30 second intervals, stirring between each until melted and smooth.
5. Cool slightly. Spoon melted chocolate evenly over the top of the cake letting the excess run down the sides.
1. Combine 2 C. skim milk, 1/3 cup sugar and pinch of salt in the top of a double boiler. Cook over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
2. Whisk 4 large egg-yolks in a small bowl until blended. Slowly stir in some of the hot milk, then add yolk mixture to warm milk mixture. Heat about 1" water in the bottom of a double boiler until simmering.
3. Set double boiler top over bottom and cook custard, stirring constantly, until it coats the back of a spoon-10 to 15 min. Remove from heat, strain into a bowl in 1 t. vanilla.
This sauce can be served hot or cold. Makes 2 cups.