12 cups red wine (dry)
4 cups vodka
2 1/2 cups raisins
5 dried figs
2 cinnamon sticks
Peel of 1 orange, julienne
20 cardamon pods
1 - 3 inch piece, ginger root, peeled, sliced
1 pound sugar cubes
1 1/2 aquavit
2 cups blanched, toasted, slivered almonds
1. Combine wine, vodka, raisins, figs, cinnamon sticks, and orange peel in large kettle.
2. Put cardamon, ginger and cloves in a cheesecloth pouch and put in pot.
3. Bring just to a simmer. Do not boil.
4. Let stand at room temperature for four hours, then bring back to a simmer.
5. Place sugar cubes in warm aquavit or vodka and ignite, add to pot and sprinkle with toasted almonds.