Colcannon (traditional Irish dish)
4 medium potatoes, peeled
4 cups shredded cabbage
4 Tbsp margarine
½ cup chopped scallions
2/3 cup warm skim milk
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
1. Cut potatoes into quarters and cook in boiling water for 15 minutes, or until
tender. Drain, mash with fork until dry and mealy.
2. Cook cabbage in boiling water for 10 minutes and drain well.
3. Melt margarine in a large pot, add cabbage and stir in scallions. Cook for 1
4. Add the potatoes to the cabbage mixture and blend well. Add enough milk to
give a creamy consistency.
5. Season with pepper and serve garnished with parsley.
Yield: 6 servings
Calories per serving: 182
Fat (grams): 6
Adapted from Step-By-Step Irish Cooking, Murdoch Books, 1992.
Prepared by Colleen Bolander, MS, RD