- 3 flour tortillas (7 ½ “ diameter)
- 1 can (16 oz.) vegetarian refried beans
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- 4 oz. grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 ¾ cups egg substitute (equal to 7 eggs)
- ¼ cup skim milk
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- Spray a 9” deep dish pie pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut 2 tortillas in half and place each half in the pan so that the rounded edge is ¼ inch above the rim. Place the remaining tortilla in the center of the pan.
- Spread the beans over the tortillas. Top with chilies, onion and cheese.
- Mix the eggs and milk together and pour over top.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350 F for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the quiche sit for at least 10 minutes before cutting. (If cut too soon, the beans will be runny).
Yield: 8 servings
Calories per serving: 175
Fat (grams): 5
Source: Quick & Healthy Volume II by Brenda J. Ponichtera, RD: Scale Down Publishing, 1995.
Prepared by Colleen Bolander, MS, RD
August 25, 2004