What you need for the egg salad:
6 hard-boiled eggs, sliced (reserve 6 thin slices for later)
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
½ cup finely chopped celery*
*You want something for crunch – it can be celery, or you can substitute: chopped carrots, chopped cucumbers, chopped radishes or what ever other veggie you like.
What you need to make each sandwich:
1 slice of bread
1 slice of sandwich meat
1 slice of thin cheese
About 1/3 of the recipe (above) for egg salad
Sliced red pepper (sliced crosswise) for the mouth
Large grapes or olives (for eyes), cut in half
2 egg slices
Sliced pickles for eyelashes
Carrot tip for the nose
Here’s how you make the egg salad:
1. Place hard-boiled egg slices in a bowl; with two knives, chop them up in a criss-cross motion.
2. Mix in the mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Then add the chopped celery.
3. Cover and refrigerated to blend flavors.
Here’s how you make the open-faced sandwich:
1) Lay 1 slice of bread on a clean plate. Place one slice of meat and cheese on bread.
2) Spread on the egg salad - it should be kind of thick.
3) Arrange: Pepper slice for the mouth (smiling!); carrot tip for the nose; egg slices for eyes; and grapes or olives (flat sides down) for the eyeballs on top of the egg slices; pickle slices for eyelashes. Take a picture of it and send it to your friends; then eat it!