Doctors Warn Against Eating Wild Mushrooms

Mushrooms are sprouting up everywhere after recent rainy weather, but doctors at Georgetown University are warning against eating them after treating two men fell dangerously ill from toxic mushrooms in the last two weeks.

Frank Constantinopla and his wife picked mushrooms from their
backyard in Springfield, Va., to cook in a stir fry.

Within hours of eating the fungi known as "death cap" mushrooms, they felt sick.

His symptoms were worse and within days, he was suffering from the early stages of liver failure.

One week later, a retired farmer from Frederick, Md., fell ill with mushroom toxicity.

Doctors were able to use a drug that's undergoing clinical trials and now both men are recovering.

Doctor say people should buy their mushrooms from legitimate farms or grocery stores.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


WHSV.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WHSV-TV3
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax

WSVF Public Inspection File

Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130596973 - whsv.com/a?a=130596973