Va Boy Dies of Infection From Microscopic Bug

Virginia health officials say a child has died of a brain infection from a microscopic bug that lives in stagnant water.

State epidemiologist Dr. Keri Hall declined to name the child, but the victim's mother identified him as 9-year-old Christian Alexander Strickland of Henrico County.

The boy died Aug. 5 and Hall received the autopsy results Friday
confirming the cause of death as inflammation of the brain and its
lining.

The Times-Dispatch (http://bit.ly/oB8yMu) reports it's the first case of an amoeba death in Virginia since 1969.

State health officials issued an advisory Saturday, saying the amoeba proliferates in stagnant freshwater lakes and ponds during hot weather.

The victim's mother, Amber Strickland, says the boy had attended a fishing day camp at several locations the week before he died.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


WHSV.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WHSV-TV3
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax

WSVF Public Inspection File

Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 127864463 - whsv.com/a?a=127864463