In this week's What's Going Around, Augusta Health says it's seeing community associated methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA.
This is the bug that was highlighted several years ago when a 17-year-old high school student from Bedford died from the infection.
The bacterium was initially seen in the Valley in 2004, when it appeared in a local high school wrestling team. Since then, Augusta Health has seen it regularly.
Treatment is usually simple and typically involves an incision, drainage of the infected area and antibiotics. Occasionally, the infection is serious enough that the patient will need to be admitted for IV antibiotics or go to the operating room for a more extensive drainage procedure.
It can really become a problem, when people don't know they're infected with the bug. Initially, several patients were presenting what they thought were spider bites.
Areas were red, swollen, warm and often had a black center. Augusta Health says it now sees all kinds of infections including boils, "bug" bites, swollen red knots, open draining sores, and areas of cellulitis.
The only way to know for sure if you have a MRSA infection is to check with your doctor.
© Copyright 2013 WHSV / Gray Television Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.