March 8, 2014
A local poultry grower is dead after an accident on the farm. 66-year-old Paul Dove of Criders was working on a thermostat when an exposed wire electrocuted him.
Dove was working alone when the incident happened.
It's a reminder of what farming officials have been promoting all week. The Virginia Farm Bureau encourages everyone in the agriculture community to go the extra mile for safety.
Among their tips: Make sure the safety features on your farm equipment are in place and in good condition.
Also review with your family and employees what everyone should do in an emergency.
Parents and grandparents can also minimize the risks to children by keeping them out of active work areas and away from farm equipment.