Carbon Monoxide Care

By: Erin Tate
By: Erin Tate

Flues can be dangerous when clogged with snow, so be sure to keep an eye on them. If you live in a mobile home, keep snow away from the furnace vent on the top of your trailer.

A furnace malfunction can lead to carbon monoxide build-up in your home. And that can cause heart and lung failure, brain damage and death.

If you're experiencing flu-like symptoms, firefighters advise you to check the carbon monoxide levels in your house. They say detectors should be in all homes with gas-operated appliances.

whsv.com Extended Web Coverage

Steps to Reduce Carbon Monoxide Exposure

  • Keep gas appliances properly adjusted.

  • Consider purchasing a vented space heater when replacing an unvented one.

  • Use proper fuel in kerosene space heaters.

  • Install and use an exhaust fan vented outdoors over gas stoves.

  • Choose properly sized wood stoves that are certified to meet EPA emission standards, make sure that wood stoves fit tightly.

  • Have a trained professional inspect, clean, and tune-up central heating systems (furnaces, flues, and chimneys).

  • Repair any leaks in the heating systems immediately.

  • Do not idle your car inside a garage.

Source: http://www.epa.gov/(United States Environmental Protection Agency Web Site)


WHSV-TV3
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax

WSVF Public Inspection File

Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 223931 - whsv.com/a?a=223931
Gray Television, Inc.