It's Christmas Tree Time!

By: Jarrod Aldom
By: Jarrod Aldom

This weekend and next are teh busiest times to buy Christmas trees. And industry analysts say this could be a banner year for tree sales. WHSV went out to a local tree farm to see how they're doing.

People of all ages were out this weekend in search of the perfect Christmas tree. Including Tracy Muterspaugh and her family.

"We always get it the Sunday after Thanksgiving," says Muterspaugh. "And we always take it down New Year's Day."

And while all the rain this year damaged other crops, it's made a good season for Christmas trees.

"The most critical time period is in the spring on our new seedlings that we plan each year," says Dave Thomas, a Christmas tree grower from Keezletown. "And we put out about 6,000 seedlings this year. So they did very well. They had enough moisture to survive and thrive."

And the rain this year will also make for better years in the future.

"The rain that we've had this year should stay in the ground this winter and help things get started to a good start next spring," says Thomas.

"The dry weather of the last 5 or 6 years has been tough on getting the trees to grow and getting them established," explains Thomas. "So there's a lot of farms now that are a little short on trees."

Thomas says there seems to be a new problem every year. In June, some of his trees were damaged by a hailstorm. He still expects to sell about 1,500 hundred Christmas trees this year.

Only 60% of trees raised can become Christmas trees, The other 40% are used as garland, wreaths, or centerpieces. To find a Christmas tree farm in your area via the web go to: www.vdacs.state.va.us/trees/trees.html


WHSV-TV3
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax

WSVF Public Inspection File

Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 446196 - whsv.com/a?a=446196