Candle Starts House Fire

By: Amanda Crawford Email
By: Amanda Crawford Email

Harrisonburg Fire Department says a burning candle most likely caused a house fire in the 1200 block of Goldfinch Drive in Harrisonburg.

The fire started in a bedroom where someone left a candle burning.

Fire crews contained the fire within a half an hour, and everyone got out safely.

They say damage was mostly in the bedroom where the fire started.

Harrisonburg Fire Chief, Larry Shifflett, cautions people about using candles in their home.

"You can't take them for granted," says Chief Shifflett. "You have got to remember that you lit a candle before you leave the house. You've got to remember, even when you're home, that you've got a candle burning when you leave a room."

Chief Shifflett says he thinks the damage to the home is somewhere around $20,000.


WHSV.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WHSV-TV3
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax

WSVF Public Inspection File

Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 124579514 - whsv.com/a?a=124579514