Family Displaced After House Fire in Swoope

AUGUSTA COUNTY, Va. -- A fire Friday morning has displaced two people in Swoope.

The Deputy Chief of the Churchville Fire Department said the fire started around 12:30 a.m. on Ruger Lane.

One of the homeowners managed to get out safely. His granddaughter said he saw smoke rising from the basement and left the home. His wife was not at home at the time.

Firefighters say the fire probably started from an electrical issue in the basement.

About 30 fire fighters responded to this house fire. Hannah Bosserman, who is the granddaughter of the homeowners, said she could see the fire flaring up from outside of her bedroom window.

The kitchen, living room and dining room are ruined and there are holes in the roof.

Bosserman said that relatives will be helping out.

"We're a close knit family, very close, as close as a family can get. If anything my aunt has extra room over at her house and we have extra room. It's no problem, it's family and you do anything you can for your family," Bosserman said.

The Churchville Deputy Fire Chief said there won't be an official cause until the fire investigator looks at the scene.

He doesn't expect that to happen until tomorrow.

The Red Cross will also be getting in contact with the family later today.


WHSV.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WHSV-TV3
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax

WSVF Public Inspection File

Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 190342441 - whsv.com/a?a=190342441