New Market - Three people are getting help from the Red Cross Sunday evening after a fire damaged the home they were renting in New Market.
It happened on Shady Lane in New Market. Shenandoah County Fire & Rescue says the call came in around 2 p.m. Sunday.
New Market Fire Department was the first on scene. When they got there, flames were coming out of the roof of the house. About seven fire companies responded to the incident.
The people living in the house were not inside at the time of the fire. They do not have renters insurance.
The Shenandoah County Fire Marshal says the fire started with food and grease left on the stove in the kitchen. From their the flames spread to the roof and destroyed most of the kitchen. Much of the roof is gone. The rest of the house has smoke and water damage.
© Copyright 2014 WHSV / Gray Television Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.