Fire Displaces Two People in Rockingham County

By: Estephany Escobar Email
By: Estephany Escobar Email

ROCKINGHAM COUNTY, Va. (WHSV) -- A kitchen fire temporarily displaced a family of two at Lee Jackson Court.

According to the Rockingham County Fire Department, grease on a stove caused the fire on Friday after 3 p.m.

Neighbor Cathy Lam lives upstairs from where it happened. She said a fire alarm made her walk out of her apartment.

"We came outside and realized the fire was downstairs," said Lam. "We ran down and made sure everything was OK because I was going to grab the dog and grab any valuables I could get and get out of here, if I needed to."

The sprinklers stopped the fire. The apartment has $1,000 in damage.

Rockingham County Fire Chief Jeremy Holloway said grease fires can be dangerous.

"Make sure that you are using the proper appliances in kitchen stoves and things like that when you are using unapproved cooking appliances on those type of stoves we tend to have a problem," said Holloway.

A problem that tends to increase during the holidays.

"Kitchen fires are a major problem during this time of the year...From 2007 to 2011 it was the leading cause for fires in the United States," said Holloway.

Therefore, he recommends for neighbors to keep an eye on what they are cooking.

"A lot of people are in a hurry, they are doing other things, they are opening Christmas presents and things like that, they will put their stuff on to cook and it will be unattended," said Holloway.

He advises people to check smoke detectors at least twice a year.

"Early detection of fire in a home is the best way is the best means to get the fire extinguished early," said Holloway.

Lam said she is careful because she does not want to get caught in the same situation.

"Make sure there is nothing on my stove that can catch on fire," said Lam.

The Rockingham County Fire Department said the family will be able to return to the home when repairs are made to the apartment.


WHSV.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WHSV-TV3
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax

WSVF Public Inspection File

Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 236971261 - whsv.com/a?a=236971261