ROCKINGHAM COUNTY (WHSV)-- An early morning fire sent seven people to the hospital, according to Chief Jeremy Holloway from the Rockingham County Fire Dept.
All seven were released a short time later. The fire happened at around 1:30 a.m. on Monday morning in the 3000 block of Bethany Court, not far from the Harrisonburg city limits.
The fire destroyed the house, according to Holloway, causing about $200,000 worth of damage.
Holloway said a discarded cigarette caused the fire, which started in the front of the house and spread.
Neighbors said a family lived in the house. "It's really sad. I saw all the alarms," said one. "And the lady cried, 'help, help!'"
According to neighbors, the family is staying at a hotel.