WINCHESTER, Va. (AP) -- Fort Loudoun served as George Washington's regimental headquarters when he was a commander of the Virginia Regiment in 1758.
The Winchester-based French and Indian War Foundation owns the site. Foundation president Linda Ross tells The Winchester Star that the organization is excited about the site getting recognition.
According to the foundation's website, the well and remnants of the bastion are the only remaining portions of the fort at the site. The foundation plans to use an 1850s house located on the property as a n interpretive center.