ROCKINGHAM COUNTY (WHSV) A California mother blames Monster energy drinks for the death her teen.
Alex Morris' mother says the energy drink is the reason for the cardiac arrest he suffered, leading to his death. Morris died last July.
His mother filed a lawsuit against the energy drink company, claiming the drinks did not give enough warning of the dangers. Morris drank two cans per day for three years.
Maria Hostetter, a Rockingham Memorial Hospital heart expert, said the high caffeine in energy drinks could cause the heart to not function correctly.
“The rapid heart rate and then the heart not being able to fill correctly and then squeeze as its designed to do could be interrupted and that's dangerous,” said Hostetter.
She also said caffeine can cause a number of other problems, including dehydration.
© Copyright 2013 WHSV / Gray Television Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.