Man Escapes Fire Thanks to Neighbor

By: Estephany Escobar. Email
By: Estephany Escobar. Email

Fire crews responded to an electric base board heater fire at a home on Route 11 on Wednesday night.

Weyers Cave firefighter Douglas Wrenn said after the base board heater caught on fire, it burned down the basement floor and the walls. Eventually, it spread to the attic.

Wrenn said the man who lived in the home was not injured. However, the damage to the home could cost up to $50,000.

The owner of the home said he thanks his neighbor, Elizabeth Swank, for helping him escape.

Swank said when she noticed the flames, she called 911 immediately. She also said she yelled and honked the horn outside the home until her neighbor came out.

"I wanted to run in but I was like you can't run into a fire so I just kept screaming and yelling for him. We see him a lot he comes out every day and walks up and down the road and takes care of things and makes sure everything is in order so we enjoy seeing him around," said Swank.

The homeowner is now receiving temporary housing assistance while his home undergoes repairs.

 Follow Estephany Escobar on Facebook and Twitter is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax

WSVF Public Inspection File

Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 192203821 -
Gray Television, Inc.