Fire crews responded to an electric base board heater fire at a home on Route 11 on Wednesday night.
Weyers Cave firefighter Douglas Wrenn said after the base board heater caught on fire, it burned down the basement floor and the walls. Eventually, it spread to the attic.
Wrenn said the man who lived in the home was not injured. However, the damage to the home could cost up to $50,000.
The owner of the home said he thanks his neighbor, Elizabeth Swank, for helping him escape.
Swank said when she noticed the flames, she called 911 immediately. She also said she yelled and honked the horn outside the home until her neighbor came out.
"I wanted to run in but I was like you can't run into a fire so I just kept screaming and yelling for him. We see him a lot he comes out every day and walks up and down the road and takes care of things and makes sure everything is in order so we enjoy seeing him around," said Swank.
The homeowner is now receiving temporary housing assistance while his home undergoes repairs.
© Copyright 2014 WHSV / Gray Television Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.