New Markets Family Speaks Out After Fire

New Market, Va. -- A New Market family is homeless tonight after a fire rips through their house, destroying everything in it.

Around 2 p.m. on Sunday, Gabriella Peterdeak spent the afternoon with her neighbors on Shady Lane when she saw smoke coming from her house.

Then she ran across the street and opened her front door to see her house on fire.

"I didn't know how big the fire was, I didn't know where the fire was, the first thing I wanted to do was just get in there and try to save my house," Gabriella says.

Her husband Antal was out at the store when the fire started and was shocked to see the flames when he returned.

"I parked my car far away from that place and I saw my wife crying and it was really bad," says Antal.

Fire crews believe the fire started because of grease left on the stove in the kitchen.

The family lost many valuable items such as clothes and furniture

Right now the American Red Cross has stepped in to help the Peterdeaks.

Overall, they're glad no one was hurt because they say the most important thing is that they're together.

"I'm pretty sure I can get over all of this, it's just okay that we're okay," Antal says.

You can help the family by donating to the Red Cross by visiting www.redcross.org or by calling 1-800-733-2767.


WHSV.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WHSV-TV3
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax

WSVF Public Inspection File

Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 255266301 - whsv.com/a?a=255266301
Gray Television, Inc.