Same-Sex Couples Can Now File for Federal Tax Returns Jointly

For the first time, same-sex couples can file for federal tax returns.

MGN Online

Follow Channing Frampton on Facebook and Twitter.

HARRISONBURG (WHSV) -- For the first time, same-sex couples can file for federal tax returns.

Same-sex couples who were legally married in a state recognizing gay marriages now have to choose "married filing jointly" or "married filing separately" when filing for their tax returns.

They can do this even if they live in a state, like Virginia, that doesn't recognize gay marriages.

Maxine Magri, a certified public accountant who deals with tax preparation, said the change affects the whole country. As far as state taxes are concerned, though, there are still limitations to what same-sex couples can do.

"It's state by state. It depends on the state. It depends on if the state recognizes the marriage or not," explained Magri.

The new policy doesn't include just this year's taxes. Same-sex couples filing for those federal returns can also file amended returns all the way back to 2010.

To do this, they have to use the married filing jointly option. is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax

WSVF Public Inspection File

Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 241875501 -