Two Families Lose Homes To Fires


WAYNESBORO, Va. (WHSV) -- Two fires in Waynesboro have forced two families out of their homes.

The first happened yesterday morning at an apartment complex on Guilford Lane and the other happened last night on Winchester Avenue one man lived in the home.

Both fires were the result of accidents. The Waynesboro Fire Department said its unusual to have two of those in the same day.

The Red Cross is helping two people after the fire on Guilford Lane.

There were no injuries from the fire and fire crews said it was accidental.

The fire started when a flammable liquid was placed too close to a hot water heater, according to fire crews.

Fire crews said a man inside of the home on South Winchester Avenue suffered burns to his head as well as his face after the fire started at 6:15 p.m. in his kitchen.

The cause was likely from a hot item being thrown in the trash, possibly a cigarette, according to fire crews.

Both fires serve as good reminders to have working smoke detectors.

"With everyone being so busy, it's easy to forget simple things. Then accidents happen. A smoke alarm is very important to have on every floor of a dwelling. And you should check and replace your batteries annually," said James Bradley with the Waynesboro Fire Department.

A cat died in the house fire while two animals died in the apartment fire.


WHSV.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WHSV-TV3
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax

WSVF Public Inspection File

Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 236759201 - whsv.com/a?a=236759201