HARRISONBURG -- James Madison University employees may receive a pay raise this year if the General Assembly approves the budget.
The General Assembly's budget includes a 3 percent annual salary increase for faculty and a 2 percent increase for classified staff, which is not teaching staff.
JMU Spokesman Don Egle said the Commonwealth would pick up 47 percent of the cost and the university would pay for the remaining 53 percent. He said staff has not received a pay increase in years so this will help recognize their hard work.
"A lot of industries, not only education, have been impacted by that bad economy, so for us to receive information from the General Assembly that they're wanting to pursue that is very encouraging," said Egle.
The budget will not be finalized in the General Assembly until the veto session is complete.