The Harrisonburg Police Department wants to warn the community about e-mails and text messages that have been circulating in the city and surrounding areas about gang activity.
The messages being sent include information about gang members luring people out of their vehicles by leaving a bloody car seat on the side of the road.
According to the messages, the gang members would then supposedly assault the individuals when they got out of their vehicle.
The CHARGE Gang Task Force cannot verify the information in the messages.
If anyone receives these messages, please do not send it to anyone else.
HPD encourages everyone to always practice safe personal habits including:
- Always make sure the doors and windows of your home and vehicle are locked.
- Pay attention to your surroundings, especially at night.
- Don’t walk while talking on a cell phone or with headphones on.
- Use the buddy system and walk or travel with a friend.
- Call police if you see something suspicious.
- Do not stop your vehicle for anything or anyone, call the police.
If you have an emergency, dial 911 or you can also call 540-434-4436.