Wood Stove Causes Fire That Destroys Family's Home

By: Estephany Escobar Email
By: Estephany Escobar Email

A family of four lost its home, after a fire burned down the home on Tuesday.

Wilson Volunteer Fire Company Chief Bobby Mays said the fire at 127 Rising Sun Lane started in the wood stove in the garage around 2 p.m.

As of 10 p.m., crews from Wilson Volunteer Fire Department were still at the home trying to keep the fire under control. They had to return because the wind was making it hard for it to stop.

Garrett Thomas who lived at the home said he can't believe his home is gone.

"It just feels like your world just crashed and burned, you have something and just mother nature or something freak takes it away from you," said Thomas.

According to Mays, the home is total loss, valued at around $200,000.

"The material things, I can regain those as times goes on. But the animals is what means a lot to me and making sure everyone else was out and wasn't here," said Thomas.

None of the four people who lived in the home were there, however, the pets were. Most of them made it out safe, but one cat didn't make it.

Thomas said he's grateful for those that are still by his side.

"Some things we had we will never get to regain that we had in there. But we have each other and we have family yet," said Thomas.

The family had not lived here for a long time. Thomas said he bought the home four years ago.

"I enjoyed it being here and I was happy with what I had but that's gone for now," said Thomas.

This homeowner plans to rebuild some day.

"It's gonna be a struggle but I'll fight with everything I can fight to get it back," said Thomas.

Thomas said he has insurance and the company will provide a hotel room for Tuesday night. He is not certain what will happen next.

 Follow Estephany Escobar on Facebook and Twitter


WHSV.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WHSV-TV3
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax

WSVF Public Inspection File

Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 199088411 - whsv.com/a?a=199088411
Gray Television, Inc.