Stuff The Bus Begins on Friday

Stuff the Bus begins on Friday as part of Virginia

Backpacks are always a huge need

Items You Can Buy and Donate:

  • These items are always a huge need
    • Loose-leaf paper
    • Backpacks, which on average cost about $10
    • Binders (1" and 1 1/2")
  • Pencils
  • Colored pencils
  • Pencil sharpeners
  • Pencil boxes
  • Pens
  • Erasers
  • Glue sticks
  • White-bottled glue
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Highlighters
  • Marble composition notebooks
  • Spiral notebooks
  • Calculators
  • Tape
  • Protractors
  • Two-pocket folders
  • Reference books
  • Rulers
  • Scissors
  • Construction paper
  • Drawing pads
  • Writing Tablets

HARRISONBURG, Va. (WHSV) -- Stuff the Bus begins on Friday as part of Virginia's tax-free weekend hoping to raise $150,000.

WHSV-TV3, Q101, 105.1 BOB ROCKS, Fresh 96.1, News Radio 550 WSVA, United Way of Harrisonburg, Rockingham County and Greater Augusta County, the Salvation Army, Wal-Mart, Papa John's Pizza and the Shenandoah County Sheriff's Department will working together to collect school supplies to help families in need in the Valley.

You can go to the Wal-Mart in Harrisonburg, Dayton, Staunton, Waynesboro, Luray and Woodstock to donate supplies.

Volunteers will be collecting supplies on Friday from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and on Sunday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

If you are interested in volunteering, click the links to learn how you can help. Volunteers are asked to work two-hour shifts and can register as a team from a workplace, civic group, family or as an individual.

SoLace Studios in Elkton will also be collecting supplies on Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., on Saturday from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. and on Sunday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

A main reason for this event is because a large percentage of Valley families struggle to buy school supplies. In Harrisonburg, Staunton and Waynesboro, that struggles is something about half the families deal with. At two Staunton schools, this is as high as 63 percent and in Waynesboro, 70 percent of families at once school struggle.

In Rockingham County, 37 percent of families struggle; however, at two schools, that number rises to 57 percent.

About 70 percent of the need is for children in Kindergarten through fifth grade, while the remaining 30 percent covers kids in sixth through twelfth grades.

When you go to purchase items, remember that each eligible school supply item must be priced at $20 or less and each eligible article of clothing or footwear must be priced at $100 or less in order to not be charged tax.

Stuff the Bus Locations

Click on a location name to view it on the map

Harrisonburg Wal-Mart 171 Burgess Road Harrisonburg, VA 22801
Dayton Wal-Mart 2160 John Wayland Hwy Harrisonburg, VA 22801
Luray Wal-Mart 1036 Us Highway 211 W Luray, VA 22835
Staunton Wal-Mart 1028 Richmond Avenue C. Staunton, VA 24401
Waynesboro Wal-Mart 116 Lucy Ln Waynesboro, VA 22980
Woodstock Wal-Mart 461 W Reservoir Rd Woodstock, VA 22664
SoLace Studios 193 West Spotswood Ave., Elkton, VA 22827

WHSV.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WHSV-TV3
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax

WSVF Public Inspection File

Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 268943661 - whsv.com/a?a=268943661