HARRISONBURG, Va. – Redshirt senior guard A.J. Davis (Columbus, Ohio/Harmony Community School) claimed the final Colonial Athletic Association Player of the Week honors of the 2012-13 season after pouring in 36 points in Saturday’s 69-67 comeback win at William and Mary.
Davis’ career high in points helped JMU clinch the No. 3 seed for the upcoming CAA championship, which is Madison’s best tournament position since the 2000 event. He scored 21 points in the first half, including 17 straight for JMU during one stretch, and added 15 in the second half as the Dukes overcame a 19-point first-half deficit. Davis also had five rebounds, four steals and a career-high three blocks.
Davis’ performance, particularly the fact that he was not in the starting lineup, produced several noteworthy facts:
· 36 points set a JMU program record for points by a non-starter.
· His 36 points tied for 11th among all single-game performances in JMU history.
· His 15 field goals (15-for-23, 5-for-10 from the arc) were the most field goals off the bench by a Division I player against a Division I opponent since 2002 (credit @ESPNStatsInfo).
· His 36 points ranked third nationally among performances by a non-starter this year, trailing only the 37 by Lamont Jones of Iona and Joel Wright of Texas St.
· His 15 field goals were the most for JMU since Denzel Bowles had 17 in a win at Gardner-Webb on Dec. 17, 2009.
· It was just the second 30-point game of Davis’ career (30 vs. Delaware Feb. 4, 2012).
· With 27 points on Feb. 6 vs. William and Mary, Davis is averaging 31.5 points vs. the Tribe this year, a team the Dukes will face again on Saturday in their tournament opener.
· While averaging 31.5 against W&M, Davis is averaging 9.8 in JMU’s other 28 games (credit @CAAHoopsStaff).
· Over JMU’s last seven games beginning with the Feb. 6 game vs. W&M, Davis is averaging 20.4 points per game. He was averaging 8.5 points per game through JMU’s first 23 games of the season.
· Davis has now led JMU in scoring eight times this year with five coming in the last seven games.
· Davis is shooting 46.7 percent (28-for-60) from the arc in those last seven games and 57 percent (53-for-93) overall.
· Over the last seven games (23 percent of JMU’s 31 games played), Davis has achieved 42 percent of his season points (107/343), 32 percent of his season rebounds (34/105), 46 percent of his blocks (6/13) and 41 percent of his steals (13/32).
· JMU improved to 8-3 in games in which Davis scores 15 points or more.
Drexel sophomore guard Damion Lee shared the weekly honor with Davis after Lee averaged 23 points and 7.5 rebounds in a pair of Drexel wins, including a 34-point effort against Old Dominion.
Davis is just the second JMU player to earn CAA Player of the Week honors this year, joining redshirt senior guard Devon Moore (Columbus, Ohio/Northland), who was selected on Dec. 17. Freshman guard Andre Nation (Plant City, Fla./Faith Baptist Christian) was a three-time Rookie of the Week recipient. It is the third career weekly honor for Davis, who was also CAA Player of the Week on Nov. 28, 2011 and Jan. 23, 2012.