HARRISONBURG, Va. -- A "golden goal" by sophomore Katie Hyland (Islip, N.Y./Islip) late in overtime gave James Madison (7-10-0, 5-4-0) a 2-1 win over league-leading Delaware (9-7-0, 6-3-0) in Colonial Athletic Association women's soccer Thursday evening at University Park.
Freshman Rachel Ivey (South Riding, Va./Freedom) found Hyland with a pass to the right corner of the 18-yard box, and Hyland sent a low shot into the far corner of the goal with 1:54 left in overtime.
The Blue Hens out-shot JMU 17-6 and had several near misses in regulation, but JMU prevailed to stay alive in the race for one of the CAA's six playoff berths.
Delaware netted the game's first goal after junior Chelsea Duffy (Glassboro, N.J./Gloucester Catholic) connected on a shot from just outside the 18. After receiving a pass from the left from freshman Maddy Parker (Eagleville, Pa./Methacton), Duffy sent a low shot past a diving sophomore goalkeeper Marlee Stynchula (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) and into the left corner of the goal. The score came in the 25th minute.
Just before halftime the Dukes drew even on a goal by senior Amalya Clayton (Springfield, Va./West Springfield). Redshirt senior Kelly Germain (McLean, Va./Langley) started the play with a pass to Clayton on the right flank. Clayton dribbled about 10 yards, then chipped a ball from 22 yards that sailed over junior goalkeeper Jessica Levy (Holland, Pa./Council Rock South) and into the far corner of the goal. Clayton's goal was scored with 3:51 remaining.
Game Statistics Summary:
Shots: JMU 6, UD 17
Saves: JMU, Marlee Stynchula 5 (98:06); UD, Jessica Levy 3 (98:06)
Corner kicks: JMU 3, UD 7
UD - Chelsea Duffy (Madeline Parker), 24:15
JMU - Amalya Clayton (Kelly Germain), 41:01
JMU - Katie Hyland (Rachel Ivey), 98:06
* JMU - Kelly Germain hits a shot in a crowd in front of the goal, but Jessica Levy makes the stop from one yard away, 4:59.
* UD - Chelsea Duffy scores on a 19-yard shot, with Madeline Parker getting the assist, 24:15.
* UD - A shot by junior Dianna Marinaro (Wading River, N.Y./Shoreham) from 20 yards hits the crossbar, 28:34.
* JMU - Marlee Stynchula makes a save on a low shot from Duffy from 20 yards, 35:05.
* JMU - Amalya Clayton's lofted ball from the right side sails into the far corner of the goal, 41:01.
* UD - Senior Ali Miller (Sinking Spring, Pa./Wilson) shoots from close range but Stynchula makes the save, 49:26.
* UD - Sophomore Allegra Gray (West Chester, Pa./Unionville) takes a sharply-angled shot from 10 yards that is just wide of the goal, 50:37.
* UD - A shot by Duffy from 10 yards is stopped by Stynchula, 54:48.
* UD - Senior Tania Domingos (Sandy Hook, Conn./Newtown) takes a shot from 23 yards, by Stynchula makes the save, 62:23.
* UD - Senior Melissa Pennington (Royersford, Pa./Spring-Ford) has a one-on-one with Stynchula, but her shot from a sharp angle on the right is just wide left of the goal, 69:13.
* UD - Another shot by Domingos from a sharp angle on the left side is just wide right of the goal, 78:43.
* UD - A Parker free kick goes in the box to Domingos, but her shot from 10 yards is stopped by Stynchula, 85:21.
* JMU - UD's Levy makes a routine save on a shot by Germain from the middle of the box, 96:27.
* JMU - Hyland scores on a shot from the right corner of the 18 to the far left corner of the goal, 98:06.
* JMU won their second straight home game in overtime. The Dukes beat George Mason 1-0 in double overtime in their last home game on Oct. 4.
* JMU is 2-1 in overtime games and Delaware is 2-2 in overtime matches this season.
* JMU has 15 points in CAA play (three points for a win, one point for a tie) and is tied with William and Mary and Northeastern for fourth place in the league standings. The top six teams qualify for the postseason CAA Tournament. Delaware and Hofstra are tied for first with 18 points. JMU's next opponent, Drexel, is third with 16 points.
* Fourteen games remain in CAA competition.
* The Dukes close out their season at home against Drexel on Oct. 21 (1 p.m.).