HARRISONBURG, Va., Sept. 25, 2012 -- Nationally-ranked and unbeaten Georgetown scored midway through the second half to pull out a 1-0 win over James Madison in men's soccer Tuesday evening at University Park.
Georgetown (9-0-1), which entered the game ranked number five in the NSCAA coaches poll and number 11 in the Soccer America poll, got on the scoreboard in the 62nd minute.
Hoya freshman Brandon Allen (Old Bridge, N.J./St. Joseph) set up the goal, sending a pass from the middle of the field ahead to sophomore Tom Skelly (Albuquerque, N.M./Shattuck St. Mary's) on the left side of the box. Skelly took a dribble, then blasted a 10-yard shot into the far right corner of the goal.
JMU (3-4-1) saw its home unbeaten streak end at 15 games (13-0-2). The Dukes had not lost a home match since Nov. 6, 2010.
Georgetown entered the evening as one of 12 unbeaten teams in NCAA Division I.
* JMU - Redshirt senior Christian McLaughlin (Herndon, Va./Herndon) shoots from 25 yards, and his shot is just wide right of the goal, 3:12.
* Georgetown - Brandon Allen takes a shot from five yards from the left end line that hits the outside of the net, 6:57.
* Georgetown - Junior Ted Helfrich (Belvedere, Calif./Marin Catholic) hits a shot on the right side of the box from six yards; JMU redshirt junior goalkeeper Colin Newcity (Harrisonburg, Va./Harrisonburg) makes a save, 27:16
* Georgetown - Steve Neumann takes a shot straight at the goal from seven yards; Newcity makes a save, 32:50.
* JMU - A shot by redshirt junior Adam Bastidas (Catasauqua, Pa./Catasauqua) from the left side from 22 yards out is saved by junior goalkeeper Keon Parsa (West Hills, Calif./El Camino Real), 48:35.
* JMU - Senior Paul Wyatt (Modbury, England/Ivybridge) gets by a pack of three defenders just inside the 18, but a defender manages to clear the ball away just before he can get a shot off, 54:44.
* Georgetown - Tom Skelly scores on a shot from 10 yards to the far post, after receiving a pass from Allen, 61:27.
* Georgetown - A shot by senior Ian Christianson (Cedar Rapids, Iowa/Christian Life) from 18 yards on the left side is stopped by Newcity, 64:57.
* JMU - A header by senior Dale Robins-Bailey (Bollington, England/Tytherington) off a corner kick from McLaughlin sails wide of the goal, 72:28.
* JMU - A header by McLaughlin off a cross from redshirt sophomore Tim Whitebread (McLean, Va./McLean) is saved by Parsa, 78:21.
* JMU - A header by Wyatt off a cross from Whitebread is just wide of the goal on the right side, 79:13.
* JMU - A shot by Wyatt from near the endline goes into the side netting of the goal, 84:32.
Shots: JMU 16, Georgetown 10
Saves: JMU, Colin Newcity 3 (90:00); Georgetown, Keon Parsa 5 (90:00)
Corner kicks: JMU 5, Georgetown 5
Georgetown - Tom Skelly (Brandon Allen), 61:27.
JMU Associate Head Coach Tom Foley
"Our game plan was to apply pressure to them, disrupt their rhythm, and I think our guys did a very good job of that. The guys played very well, showed a lot of fight and created a lot of opportunities to score goals. We played a very good game against a very good team, and they happened to get one goal, and we happened to miss a few chances."