HARRISONBURG, Va., Oct. 14, 2012 -- The James Madison and Delaware men's soccer teams battled through two overtimes to a 1-1 draw in Colonial Athletic Association play Sunday afternoon at University Park.
JMU's overall record now stands at 5-5-3, and the Dukes have a 3-1-2 record in league play. Defending CAA champion Delaware's records are now 3-8-3 overall and 1-2-2 in CAA competition.
The Dukes got on the scoreboard first, on a header freshman Tom Fouhy (Buckinghamshire, England/Dr. Challoner's) off a corner kick by redshirt senior Christian McLaughlin (Herndon, Va./Herndon) just 4:50 into the second half.
Delaware got the equalizer with 15:19 to play. Sophomore Kyle Nuel (Hamilton, N.J./Hamilton) sent a cross from the left side of the box to the right to junior Mark Garrity (Newton, Mass./Newton South). Garrity one-timed a shot just inside the right corner of the goal from inside the 6-yard box.
Blue Hens sophomore goalkeeper Jay Lupas (McLean, Va./Langley) made several crucial saves in overtime to preserve the tie. Just 2:22 into the first 10-minute overtime, a lofted ball by Fouhy from just outside the 18 was deflected toward the goal by a Delaware defender, but Lupas managed to tip the ball over the cross bar.
With 47 seconds to play in the second overtime, Lupas made a diving save on a shot from just outside the 18 by redshirt sophomore Steven Mashinski (Fairfax, Va./Chantilly).
Game Statistics Summary:
Shots: JMU 17, Delaware 16
Saves: JMU, Kyle Morton 4 (110:00); Delaware, Jay Lupas 6 (110:00)
Corner kicks: JMU 16, Delaware 5
JMU - Tom Fouhy (Christian McLaughlin), 49:50
UD - Mark Garrity (Kyle Nuel), (74:41)
* JMU was playing at home for the first time after road trips to Norfolk, Va., Boston and Wilmington, N.C., for its previous three matches.
* JMU is in third place in the CAA standings with 11 points. Drexel holds first place with 15 points, followed by Northeastern with 13.
* Delaware is winless (0-2-2) over its last four games, including a scoreless overtime tie at nationally-ranked Old Dominion on Oct. 7.
* The game was a rematch of the 2011 CAA semifinals, which ended in a 2-2 tie. Delaware advanced to the CAA final on penalty kicks.
* JMU's Christian McLaughlin recorded his 18th career assist. He moved from tied for 19th place to tied for 18th place on JMU's career list. McLaughlin shares 18th place with Scott Davis (1988-91).