The bitter cold has a solid grip on the Valley and it's causing all kinds of problems with ice throughout the area, including some that may not be readily seen.
This kind of ice isn't on the roadways or the eaves. It's in the pipes. A broken pipe caused water damage at Schewel's Furniture Store in Harrisonburg.
You don't really think of ice as something that can cause water damage, especially in winter, but when it gets as cold as it's been, it can do just that.
Schewel's Furniture Store on Evelyn Bird Avenue in Harrisonburg saw first hand what a frozen pipe can do. The store’s automatic fire sprinkler system failed because a pipe burst.
That set off the overhead fire sprinklers in the front half of the store. Since the fire system was activated, the fire department responded to the scene.
Battalion Chief Thomas Moffett says quick thinking helped minimize the damage.
"There is water on the floor, the carpeting will need to be taken care of, but they shut the sprinkler system off relatively quickly and minimized the damage to the furniture," says Moffett.
Moffett says the fire department also helped minimize that damage by vacuuming the water out of the store and by moving the furniture away from it. The rest of the damage will be taken care of by professional cleaning companies.
The store's manager says he hope to get everything cleaned up Monday night and return to business as usual Tuesday.