Staunton firefighters respond to second two-alarm fire at Habitat for Humanity ReStore

Published: Sep. 23, 2020 at 2:56 AM EDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

STAUNTON, Va. (WHSV) (UPDATE 9/24) — According to the Staunton Fire and Rescue’s Deputy Chief of Community Risk Reduction, Perry Weller, officials have “deemed the fires to have been intentionally set.”

Anyone with information is being asked to contact the Staunton Police Department of the Staunton Fire Marshal’s Office.

UPDATE (Sept. 23) — Following Tuesday night’s two-alarm fire at Staunton’s Habitat for Humanity ReStore, fire crews were back on scene Wednesday for another two-alarm fire.

Staunton Fire Chief, Scott Garber said crews were on scene Wednesday morning investigating last night’s fire, when they saw more flames just before 9:15 a.m.

Chief Garber said Wednesday’s fire is being investigated as suspicious and is unrelated to Tuesday’s fire.

Angela Terry, Staunton-Augusta-Waynesboro Habitat for Humanity ReStore Director said she is disappointed this happened, but they plan to continue serving the community.

“We’re going to be able to relocate to the Waynesboro store for now, and then once we assess the damage here we’ll figure out what needs to be done,” Terry said.

Staunton-Augusta-Waynesboro Habitat for Humanity’s Executive Director, Lance Barton said it’s in their DNA to rebuild and that’s what they will do.

“We’re very grateful no one was hurt, and we really appreciate the efforts of fire and rescue,” Barton said.

Stay with us for updates as this story develops.

Staunton Fire & Rescue is investigating a two-alarm fire that happened Tuesday night at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore along Richmond Road.

Chief Scott Garber tells WHSV that the call came in around 11 p.m. and smoke was visible from outside the building when firefighters arrived on scene.

Garber said crews had the fire out within five to 10 minutes and the rest of the time on scene was spent looking for hidden, small pockets of fire.

“The interior of the building, the fire was pretty much contained to a storage room area, but there’s smoke and water damage throughout the building," said Garber.

Garber confirms no one was in the building at the time of the blaze and that no firefighters were injured while responding.

The cause remains under investigation at this time.

Copyright 2020 WHSV. All rights reserved.

Latest News

Latest News