River Information, levels and forecast
Also includes soil moisture information, flooding outlooks
We have numerous creeks, streams and rivers across our viewing area. Not all are going to have river monitoring gauges but many do. Here’s some helpful information for you to check whether you plan to be on the water, camp near the water, or if you live near a creek or river. A few things about river and stream monitoring:
- Not all rivers or creeks will have forecasts. Some are observation data only
- River forecasts are updated several times a day based on need during heavy rain events
- Click on the stream/river name to see a graph. Then click on the graph image for even more information.
- When you click the link below, the map will show a diamond or a round circle where gauges are
- The diamond represents a gauge that has observation information only. Past to current stage
- The circle represents a river gauge that includes observation data and a forecast
RIVER AND STREAM: Observations and Forecast
How to read a hydrograph
Once you clock on a
ACTION STAGE (YELLOW): the stage where the stream could be should be closely monitored by any affected people and begin implementing an action plan
MINOR FLOODING (ORANGE): Minimal or no property damage, but possibly some public threat or inconvenience
MODERATE FLOODING (RED): Inundation of structures and roads near streams. Some evacuations of people and/or transfer of property may be necessary.
MAJOR FLOODING (MAGENTA): Extensive inundation of structures and roads. Significant evacuations of people and/or transfer of property to higher elevations.
Additional River and creek resources
Projected Rainfall: https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/day1-2.shtml
Significant River Flood Outlook: https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/nationalfloodoutlook/
Mid-Atlantic River Flood Outlook https://www.weather.gov/marfc/WinterSpring_Flood_Outlook
USGS Daily Streamflow Data: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/rt
Gardening: Precip departure map https://www.weather.gov/marfc/Precipitation_Departures
Snow liquid : https://www.weather.gov/marfc/Snow
Ground water https://groundwaterwatch.usgs.gov/RTNHome.asp
Copyright 2021 WHSV. All rights reserved.