Virginia State Police investigating death on JMU campus
HARRISONBURG, Va. (WHSV) - The James Madison University Police Department requested help from Virginia State Police to conduct a death investigation.
At approximately 4:31 p.m. Monday, Feb 7, a male subject was found deceased in the 250 block of E. Grace Street in Harrisonburg.
Virginia State Police tell WHSV the remains will be transported to the Office of the Medical Examiner in Roanoke for autopsy, examination, and positive identification. At this stage of the investigation, the death does not appear to be suspicious in nature.
The university said that they do not believe the individual to be a JMU student, faculty, or staff member, but still offer their condolences to the individual’s family and friends.
In an email to students, the university said it will cancel Assessment Day and no classes will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 8. It will also be providing additional spaces for students to meet with counseling professionals experienced with loss during the times below on Tuesday, Feb. 8
Meeting times and locations for students:
• 1 p.m. - 3 p.m. in Taylor 302
• 1 p.m. - 3 p.m. in Taylor 303
• 1 p.m. - 3 p.m. in Festival Conference room 7
“These difficult moments can often lead to overwhelming feelings and questions. Please know that you are a valued member of the JMU community and we care deeply about each of you. I encourage you to support each other, to check in on your friends and colleagues, and to seek additional support if you feel you may need it. We are planning additional ways to come together as a community in support, solidarity and hope in the days and weeks to come,” JMU President Jonathan Alger said in an email to the JMU community.
The investigation remains ongoing.
For additional support please reach out to:
• Counseling Center, 540-568-6552
• Dean of Students Office, 540-568-6468
• After-hours mental health emergency support, 540-568-6552, press “1″
• Sentara RMH Emergency Department, 540-689-1414
• Self-Help resources available through the University Counseling Center
• Crisis Text Line – Text HOME to 741741 to reach a crisis counselor
Copyright 2022 WHSV. All rights reserved.